Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Hot Pink and Sparkles

Ok, so anyone that knows me (even just a little bit) probably knows that I love to paint nails. I'm not sure where it started or how it started, but somewhere along the line a bottle of liquid pink and sparkles got me hooked. If I were to give you the obvious reasons why I love to paint nails it would sound silly: they're pretty, you can use your favorite colors, etc. Sounds like a bad essay written by a 3rd grade girl with a social interaction problem. But, to be honest with you, there's things about painting nails that no one thinks about. I love it because it's a way to express yourself. More often than not, you'll see me unapologetically sporting hot pink, bright orange, or acid green nails. I love it that way. I'm loud, excited, and crazy and I like my fingers to represent that. The thing about expressing your personality through nail color is that when it starts to chip away, all you have to do it bust out the acetone and do them again. Your actual personality and creativity is not so easily healed. If someone or something keeps wearing and wearing on your spirit and chipping  away at your heart, eventually the hot pink you once loved will be a dull grey, much harder to replace. I used to feel that way, like the sparkles in my personality had lost their luster. I felt like no matter how hard I tried, everyone else in the world was painting their personality boring colors like "nude" and "muted rose petal #55". ew ew ew. I tried the whole pasty pink and pantyhose tan personalities, but they just didn't fit. But, I hid my sparkles because I didn't want to be strange and immature. Here's what I'm beginning to realize: it doesn't matter what I do, or how old I get, that cheetah print, neon pink, and glitter will always be in my heart. No matter how old I get or where I go, that's who I am. *So what* if no one else does that? I.don't.need.them.too. You know why? Because the right people will accept me, princess complex and all. I'll keep my tu-tu thank you very much. So what if I sneeze glitter and still wish I could be a Disney Princess? Take back your " muted rose petal #55" nail polish, I don't want it! My nails will forever be an example of how I feel in my heart and that's the way I know it should be.



No comments:

Post a Comment