Monday, April 18, 2011

Looking At the Sky

For as long as I can remember, one of my favorite things to do is lay in the grass and look up at the sky. Sunny, cloudy, night, or day. I don't really care. I just love the sky; it fascinates me more than the ocean. This giant expanse that can shift and change every day, giving way to light or darkness. Sometimes rain, sometimes sun. Looking at the sky makes me feel calm. I guess I love the Sky because it reminds me of mercy. The sky reminds me of mercy and grace and the unfathomable love the Christ has for me. I've been struggling releasing my control of some things lately and a chat I had with a very dear friend of mine as I laid in the grass made me realize this. My friend has been having a hard time relinquishing control and I wasn't sure what to tell her.. then as I thought and the words flowed, I realized that everything I was saying to her was something I needed to say to myself. I told her " Remember, that when you refuse to give up control, you're telling God he doesn't know what he's doing. You're telling him you think you know better and you don't trust him. As difficult as it is, we must truly *live* what we believe. If you believe who you say God is, you will relinquish your control and learn to trust him. Stop trying to save yourself , that was already taken care of on the cross and that is a gift much too precious to ignore." When I went back and read those words, I realized that in helping her, I was helping myself. I needed so badly to be reminded that God is big enough, he is strong enough and he holds my future in his hands. No amount of pushing, shoving, kicking, screaming, or fighting will change the fact that HE is the one in control of my life. Rather than resisting that, I am attempting to realize it is something to embrace. One of my most favorite verses is  Matthew 10:29-31 "Are not two sparrows sold for a penny? Yet not one of them will fall to the ground outside your Father’s care.[b] 30 And even the very hairs of your head are all numbered. 31 So don’t be afraid; you are worth more than many sparrows" Why am I afraid to relinquish my control? I am worth *more* than many sparrows to a God full of mercy and grace. So, when I am afraid to relinquish control, I will look up to the sky and be reminded of his deep love for me. 





No comments:

Post a Comment